Friday, October 14, 2005

siestas, fiestas, and holas





sorry i havent posted in a while, i havent had much time, and still dont (mammoth Greek test coming up) but here is a little synopsis of the past week:

- last week was TMC's outreach week. Our church hosted 21 students who participated in a poverty simulation, did evangelistic outreaches, helped in our youth ministries and did various work projects. In the past outreach week has been one of my favorite events of the year. It is so encouraging to see these students' fresh perspective on the city and ministries I have fallen in love with. Each year I look forward to pouring myself into the events of the week as much as possible. This year however, I got sick with the flu the day the team arrived. I spent the next day and a half migrating between my bed and my toilet. Needless to say I didnt get to spend as much time with the group as I had hoped. The week culminated with a "Community Party" we threw as an outreach for our neighborhood. To be honest I thought it was going to be a disaster, partly because I was not in on as much of the planning as I had hoped (because I was sick). In short, however, the party was a smash success. God showed me once again that I am not essential to what He is doing in His kingdom. Ministry is a privledge. I am not a mercenary.
So the party was great, relationships were forged, and we presented the Gospel both through personal interaction as well as a formal message. In addition, another goal of the weekend, to expose and challenge TMC students to getting involved in inner city ministry, was accomplished. The feedback from the students was amazing and many promised to return in the near future to become involved in our ministries.
I am ever thankful to have been part, even just a small one, of this weekend and encouraged to have had the opportunity to watch from the sidelines for a while.
...But now its back to the trenches...Geronimo!

by His grace, for His glory
jrf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you guys had a good time. we had a good time with out group, but it was only 4 people and two of them were already on staff with us. another person was firmly involved in her church, and the other was already going somewhere else and didn't seem interested in coming here and helping us. i don't know what happened, but it wasn't the same this year.