Saturday, August 04, 2007

Back from Camp



Sorry for the lack of posting. But I have a good excuse. I spent the last week being a counselor at World Impact's summer camp, the Oaks. This was a new experience for me as I had never been to a summer camp, either as a camper or a counselor. While I would like to record every moment of the week so as not to forget the amazing experience this was, my time and your patience do not allow for a detailed account. Instead I will just list this brief and incomplete list of things that I learned at camp. Many of these things were not new but it was refreshing to be reminded of them in new and different ways.

1. There are few things, if any, that are more powerful and exciting than telling someone that Jesus unconditionally loves them and is willing and able to save them no matter what they, their mom or their dad has done.
2. Few things are more beautiful than watching Christ bring together 150 inner city kids of all ethnicities and backgrounds to worship Him.
3. I like glowsticks
4. The Gospel is both vastly complex and utterly simple. Because I am fascinated by the complexity of the Gospel I often unnecessarily and unfortunately present it in a way that robs it of its power and beauty. A youth entranced by the glitz of the world, a homeless woman selling herself to earn money so she can worship at the altar of cocaine, or a business man chasing after the wind does not need the know the intricacies of predestination, headship or the hypostatic union to find the hope their soul needs. They need to know that they are not lovable, yet God loves them anyways, that the perfect and holy God/Man Jesus Christ is willing and able to save them if they will repent of themselves and give their torn, battered, shame-filled lives to Him!
5. Chorizo, Mountain Dew, and Cottage Cheese is a bad idea.
6. Party like a Christian...ie. Christians should be constantly showing the world that we have more joy than they do. That righteousness and being right with God and enjoying Him is immeasurably more satisfying than the lust of the world.
7. Standing firm in the Lord is both an individual and communal task.
8. I love my wife
9. I want to be a film director (our cabin made the best music video)
10. It is a great privilege to be used by God in someone else's life

Stand Firm
Eph 6:10-18
jrf

No comments: