Thursday, September 22, 2005

knitting club (Col 2:2)


Sorry it's taken me so long to get a out a report of last weekend's staff retreat, I have just been so busy. But I know you dont read this to hear me whine so that's all I'll say. I was busy. Very busy. Ok I'm finished. Really.

So as I was sitting on my roof in San Diego (I went down a day earlier than the rest of the group) waiting for Isabel, Miriam, and Brad to arrive, I came to the horrible and wonderful realization that I was and am totally inadequate to lead this retreat. I don't know what I'm doing. Sure I had planned and worked very hard in preparation. I even met with other veteran youth pastors and asked for tips. Not to mention I took a class on church ministries last year. I got an A. That's got to count for something. But does it? Depends. See my problem wasnt a lack of ideas or planning. It was misplaced trust. I was depending on my own strengths (or illusions of) to carry the weekend. That night feeling very insignificant under the canopy of Divinely placed stars and planets God blessed me with the revelation of my weakness apart from Him. He gave me the grace to pray, "Lord I am lost. I admit that apart from you nothing good will come of this weekend. Please show your strength in my weakness."

As I opened my eyes, the car pulled up.

God heard my prayer and answered it 10 fold.

I won't get into the details of the weekend (if you're that interested you should join the staff and find out for yourself next time we have a retreat) but suffice it to say that it was the perfect mix of deep growth relationally, devotionally, and spiritually. We also got a lot of planning done. Oh ya and the food! How could I forget the food! Many thanks mom for all your culinary skilz. Thanks also to Sarah and Mr. B. for the many ways in which you blessed us.

Let the adventure continue!
jrf

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the Lord blessed the retreat and it was a pleasure to serve by cooking for you all.

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know you're in my prayers. Love ya, Mom