Tuesday, December 27, 2005

My two cents on the real meaning of Christmas

I know this post is a little late but I've been away from internet access for a few days.

As I start to think back over this last semester, one of the things that stands out the most to me is sin. Whether experientially, theologically, emotionally, or academically, I have gained a deeper understanding of the enemy these last six months. Whether the books I have read (The Enemy Within, The Pilgrim’s Regress, The Sun Also Rises) the subjects I studied in class (Hamartiology) or my own personal struggles I feel like sin became more apparent and recognizable to me than ever before. Not that I necessarily sinned any more or less than any other times, it just became more apparent to me. This is not necessarily a bad thing. After all knowing is half the battle right? But half the battle doesn’t win the whole battle does it. So here I am at Christmas time staring more clearly than ever into the seemingly relentless tidal wave of depravity. Not necessarily feelings of mirth. But the more I think about it this is what Christmas is about. “ It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.” (I Timothy 1:15). That’s the other half of the battle. That’s the half that I have no hope of winning on my own. That’s the part where the God who showed me my sin and my helplessness to fight it came down, put on my skin, and put His head on the execution block of my sin and then came back from the dead so that I could know Him for eternity. That's why God rode around in a womb for nine months. That's why He came to earth. That’s Christmas. That’s real mirth.

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas,
jrf

No comments: