Sunday, August 13, 2006

"What is man?"



Last night I was very tired (and Sarah wasn’t) and as a result my selfishness started to show. However we went out to Pohilale State Park near the Na Pali Coast and watched the sunset and waited for the stars to come out. I won’t say it’s impossible, as I never want to underestimate or be surprised by the power of depravity, however it is extremely difficult to be self-centered when watching the sun disappear into the crystal clear waters of the Na Pali coast. It is even more difficult to presume preemince when covered by a tent of countless sparkling stars, with the nearest light pollution miles away. Stars shooting every which way, constellations nearly indiscernible due to the visibility of millions of stars usually hidden by city lights, no moon to take some of the glory away, foam from nearby breaking waves lit by starlight, and a beautiful, warm, young woman all coalesced to make me consider myself at once tremendously humbled and exceedingly blessed.

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?

Psalm 8:3-4

by His grace,
for His glory,
jrf



1 comment:

Andrew Lindsey said...

jrf,
re: "my selfishness started to show"
Before I was married, my cousin (who later became my best man at my wedding) told me concerning his recent marriage, "I never knew how selfish I was until I got married."
It's amazing how marriage exposes a whole new set of sins that we are unaware of when single. I truly believe that God uses the relationship between man and wife as an important means of sanctification.

God bless you on your journey,
-Andrew